Here are some great opportunities for Seattle Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts to get some of your merit badge requirements met right here in the city. These opportunities change or are only available annually, to be sure to check their websites or contacts for updated details.
- Inventing : over 500 tech geeks garage tinkerers and inventors were at the Mini Maker Faire at the EMP march 22 & 23…you can complete req 1,2,4,6a,8 and 9 while attending and be inspired to invent! Make sure you look ahead for next year…
- Golf: Interbay Golf is said to free lessons for your swing. Be sure to call ahead for details: 206-285-2200.
- Seattle public libraries Edible Garden Series classes in gardening and beekeeping started April 5th (10am-3pm). Also, visit the downtown branch genealogy library for all the historical research resources you need.
- Woodcarving craft school at the Nordic Heritage Museum. March & April Saturdays 9a-3:30p.
- The Gage Art Academy has youth classes and summer workshops. They also offer free art studio time and materials on Fridays (and on Saturdays at the 2100 Building in Rainier Valley).
Alaska Airlines Scout Aviation Day – Saturday May 10
Please note that the annual Alaska Airlines Scout Aviation Day will occur on Saturday May 10. This program will allow scouts to earn their Aviation Merit Badge and board and tour commercial jets. This is an outstanding event.
Registration is at the following link:
Scout Aviation Day – Registration
Flying Heritage Collection – Skyfair Day Saturday July 26
Based on our successful training session at the Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, they have extended an invitation to the scout community to assist with their Skyfair Day on July 26th.
This will be their first year ever for SkyFair and will be an Everett Community event as well as a world-wide aviation event. Flying Heritage Collection will host several other planes from museums around the country, including Seattle’s own Museum of Flight and the Historic Flight Foundation.
Together, they will be flying over 10 vintage warbirds as well as operating and firing their WWII tanks and ground warfare artifacts. FHC will host guests from 10-5pm and offer food and vendor tents as well as a full day of educational and kids area events.
Roles that scouts can participate in include:
Checking hand stamps
Passing out flyers
Info tent (answering questions)
Setting up fences/ropes/chairs
Taking down fences/ropes/chairs
Interested scouts, parents, and leaders can contact email@example.com for more information. This activity will support the Aviation Merit Badge.
MIT just came out last month with a paper that discusses how a piece of tree branch could be used as a very effective water filter. Thought it might be a good Boy Scout experiment to see how easy and useful this might be. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines have both published articles about this that nicely summarize the paper.
Calling all Eagle Scouts from the council (has to be a junior of senior in High School) to apply for five scholarships within Monday, March 31, 2014.
We are only accepting electronic applications (no paper applications please).
a) Endorsement letter
b) High School transcript along with the complete PDF form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
More info and application here.
Outdoor Adventure Expo, March 1, 2014: Save the date- Scouts will have the opportunity to work on requirements for First Aid and Golf merit badges at the 2014 Outdoor Adventure Expo at CenturyLink Field Event Center. More details to come soon!
Scouting at the Microsoft Store, January-June: Earn your Computers merit badge at the Microsoft Store in 2014! Hurry before this badge is retired! The program is free, sign up online here.
Geology Merit Badge Day at the Burke, May 31, 2014: Boy Scouts only (grades 5-12). Fee: $18 per Scout, with an accompanying adult admitted free. Online youth registration required, no walk-ins. Registration will open in mid-April through the Chief Seattle Council events page.
Alaska Airlines Aviation Day, May 10, 2014: Aviation Day 2014 will provide the opportunity for high school-aged young adults to learn firsthand about career paths in the aviation industry. Space is limited and registration will open in April. Keep an eye on the eTotem or the council Facebook page for more info.
Law Merit Badge Day, June 27, 2014: Earn your law merit badge at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent. Play video games before you come! This event is limited to 60 high school Scouts, first class or above. Registration will open through the Chief Seattle Council events page in April.
Friday, October 25 at 7pm to 8pm
This webinar will cover the requirements for the Robotics Merit Badge.
Registration Link: Robotics Merit Badge Webinar
Check out the flyer
Saturday, October 26th, 2013: Registration starts at 8:30am
Classes run from 9am-1pm (Please be there by 12:45 to pick up Scouts)
Location: LDS Shoreline Stake; 102 N 132nd Street; Seattle, WA 98133
RSVP if you plan to attend at: email@example.com
Badges offered: Inventing, Family Life, citizenship in the World, Robotics, Scouting Heritage, Reading, Scholarship, Woodcarving, Inset Study, First Aid, Engineering, Traffic Safety, Bugling, Athletics,
Adult training offered: Merit Badge Counselor Training, BSA rules & Procedures, Youth Protection Training
Scout JOTA 2013 invite flyer
Jamboree on the Air and Internet Contact Scouts Locally & Globally by Radio & Internet.
- Use your Radio License and pick up patches.
- GAMES: Fox and Scavenger Hunts & Geocaching
- Learn about Radio and Emergency Preparedness
- Learn about Nova, STEM Merit Badges and Awards
- Get ready and you can take the FCC test or get signed off on MB
- If you have a license you can operate the radios
Valley Camp, WA JOTA/JOTI 2013 Schedule
- Activities are for October 19th and 20th
- Where: Valley Camp, North Bend WA; Register here: http://valleycamp.org
- When: Check in and set up camp: Saturday, 19th 8:00am – Area covered, Dress warm. Bring Lunch. Possible to camp overnight; but Demonstrations break up about 4:00pm
Scout Information: http://www.11scouts.org/Pages/default.aspx click on JOTA http://www.arrl.org/jamboree-on-the-air-jota
JOTA Back Ground: http://www.scouting.org/jota/operators_guides.aspx
Boys and Girls Groups welcome
CQ CQ CQ This is Valley Camp JOTA N7W calling CQ CQ CQ for you
Calling all Cubs, Boy Scouts and Scout Ham Operators—Don’t miss it
Plans are to set up radio stations with different antennas and power supplies to help scouts get on the air and contact other scouts JOTA stations on multiple frequencies and modes and experience different rig set ups. Scouts will use:
- HF, 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m and 10m phone and CW, PSK
- Winlink / DRats, APRS
- UHF / VHF simplex, repeater, IRLP
- DStar simplex, repeater and reflector REF033A
- Demo of CW, APRS, echo link, CW kit and Electrical measurements
- Games: Fox Hunt, Scavenger Hunt and others
- Loaner radios will be available if you have a license.
- Issaquah ARES will have their Emergency Trailer set up and active.
The Valley Camp JOTA Special Event call is “N7W & Valley Camp JOTA 2013 N7W calling” Keep contact log; plan on sending QSL cards.
- Check in and set up 8-9 AM
- Open by 10:00am
- Lunch at 12 noon (bring it with you)\
- FCC test 2:30pm
- Power Down at 5:pm
- Some scouts will stay overnight and you can also if you like.
Contact: Horace_Hamby_N7DRW firstname.lastname@example.org
Merit Badge fair 2013 flyer
Saturday, October 26th, 2013
Registration starts at 8:30am
Classes run from 9am-1pm (Please be there by 12:45 to pick up Scouts)
Location: LDS Shoreline Stake, 102 N 132nd Street, Seattle, WA 98133
Please RSVP if you plan to attend at: email@example.com
(RSVP’s are not mandatory as there will be onsite registration as well on Saturday morning
but it would be helpful to know approximately how many are coming.)
- Bring your own snacks and water bottle!
- Dress in full Uniform
- Bring Blue Cards with Scout Master Signature
- Bring worksheets as needed and read the requirements for your badge before you go.
- Bring pen, paper and other necessary supplies as needed.
New this year
- Adult Leadership Skills and Training.
- How to be a Merit Badge Counselor, sign up and register today, learn the rules and responsibilities.
- Youth Protection Training
- Parents, Merit Badge Counselors, Scout Leaders, everyone welcome. Get Certified today!
Want to volunteer? Contact Lisa Puddy – firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact Lisa or Darcy Niedermeyer – email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you there!!
As of today – Merit Badges offered. Might add more later.
- Bugling (must already have Bugling skills) (session 1&2)
- Engineering (partial) (session 1&2)
- First Aid (partial) (session 1&2)
- Insect Study (session 1&2)
- Reading (session 1)
- Robotics (session 1&2)
- Scholarship (session 2)
- Woodworking (session 1&2)
- Scouting Heritage (session 1&2)
Saturday, October 26th, 2013 8:30 am to 1 pm
Open to all Boys Scouts in any Troop.
Shoreline Stake, 102 N 132nd St, Seattle, WA 98133
The event is in the planning stage. Merit badges to be offered will be announced soon.